Registered Dental Hygienist
Kelowna’s Gospel Mission (KGM) is a faith-based non-profit organization committed to feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, and helping the hurting. KGM ministers to the whole person, spirit, soul, and body by sharing Jesus with a servant’s heart. Our services include outreach, case management, emergency shelters, dental clinic, thrift store, and supportive housing. To learn more, check out our website at www.kelownagospelmission.ca
We are seeking a part-time Dental Hygienist to join our KGM Community Dental Clinic. The RDH is an enthusiastic, positive person who is motivated and compassionate. This position is perfect for new hygienists or those winding down their careers. We are a low-stress, fully equipped office that helps low-income members of the community access dental care they may otherwise not be able to afford. This is a long-term position with no production pressures and the chance to provide a vital dental service in our community.
- Model KGM values of Compassion, Integrity, Respect, Grace-led, & Transformation;
- Maintain an excellent relationship with all patients, residents, volunteers, and employees by building bridges of friendship wherever possible while being observant of the Policy and Procedures of KGM;
- Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests; educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions and postoperative instructions; providing reminders of time of next dental hygiene visit.
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments. Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient’s oral health.
- Completes dental prophylaxis by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth supra and sub gingivally.
- Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession; exposing and developing radiographic studies.
- Prevents dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity- preventing agents.
- Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification. Knowing where first aid supplies, blood pressure cuff and oxygen are kept.
- Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and updating medical and dental histories; charting in patient records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations. Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Other duties as assigned
Current licensure in good standing with the College of Dental Hygienist of BC
Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational skills and the ability to maintain accurate records
Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products and dental software
The ability to develop strong working relationships with employees, patients, and volunteers
Exhibits cultural sensitivity and competence, and demonstrates ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines, while performing tasks efficiently both independently and as a part of a dynamic culturally diverse team;
Must be goal-oriented and able to perform independently, displaying initiative, and a strong sense of commitment and trust;
Work 8am to 4pm (1 hour lunch) Mondays, Thursdays and every other Wednesday
This is a great opportunity to make a significant difference in the Kelowna community; we are looking forward to hearing from you!
"*" indicates required fields