Assistant Shelter Manager – Bay Ave
Kelowna Gospel Mission (KGM) is a faith-based non-profit organization committed to feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, and helping the hurting. KGM ministers to the whole person, spirit, soul, and body by sharing Jesus with a servant’s heart. Our services include outreach, case management, emergency shelters, dental clinic, thrift store, and supportive housing. To learn more, check out our website at www.kelownagospelmission.ca
The Assistant Shelter Manager (ASM) is responsible for assisting and supporting the Shelter Manager in managing the daily operations of the shelter. This position will ensure that all program services provided at the shelter are delivered in a manner that demonstrates respect and dignity for the individual and achieves the goal of providing a safe environment while working to help transition them out of homelessness. The ideal candidate is a passionate, organized, people person who thrives in a diverse environment and loves helping those in need. Bay Ave operates an Overdose Prevention Site with supervised consumption.
The schedule for this position is Monday – Friday (11 am – 7 pm) and on-call duties as required.
- Assist the Shelter Manager with the development, revision, monitoring, and implementation of all policies and procedures relating to the provision of the Shelter Program
- Builds and maintains a positive and trusting relationship with residents by being available and approachable and by listening and responding to residents’ concerns and questions promptly;
- Provides guidance, training, and direction to new employees, interns, and volunteers when they begin in the department and on an ongoing basis;
- Provides regular and ongoing direct supervisions to employees, interns, and volunteers who provide direct services within the department; including delegating tasks, following up on completion of tasks, coaching and evaluating performance;
- Assists with the development, implementation, and analysis of the department’s outcome measures and data collection processes;
- Maintain and develop community relations with other agencies to encourage their involvement in the Shelter Program.
- Provide front-line support in the event of an emergency and be prepared to cover shifts for absent employees;
- Monitors the health, safety, and welfare of residents and department personnel by making certain that program service philosophy, policies, and procedures are followed appropriately;
- Ensure compliance with Health & Safety standards, regulatory and industry codes
- Identify gaps or inconsistencies in the day-to-day operations and programming and make suggestions for improvements;
- Model KGM values of Compassion, Integrity, Respect, Grace-led, & Transformation;
- Maintain an excellent relationship with all residents, volunteers, and employees by building bridges of friendship wherever possible while being observant of the Policy and Procedures of KGM;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- A diploma in human/social services or a related discipline or an acceptable combination of education and experience;
- Minimum 2 years experience working in a front line shelter setting is required;
- Minimum 1-year direct supervisory experience of front-line employees and shelter programs
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products;
- Demonstrated ability to deal with sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Specialized training and certification in mental health/addiction/counseling or trauma;
- Demonstrated ability to deal with highly sensitive and confidential situations with care and integrity;
- On-call duties as required
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving abstract;
- Ability to interact and collaborate with a diverse group of social service professionals and support service personnel;
- This position will require occasional evening and weekend hours, and also on-call emergency response;
- This position is dependent on a Criminal Records Check (Vulnerable Sector).
- Bay Ave operates an Overdose Prevention Site with supervised consumption.
Join us in making a tangible difference and becoming part of a team that’s dedicated to transforming lives and fostering positive change in our community.
"*" indicates required fields