Outreach Worker – Part Time
Kelowna Gospel Mission (KGM) is a faith-based non-profit organization committed to feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, and helping the hurting. KGM ministers to the whole person, spirit, soul, and body by sharing Jesus with a servant’s heart. Our services include outreach, case management, emergency shelters, dental clinic, thrift store, and supportive housing. To learn more, check out our website at www.kelownagospelmission.ca
We are looking for an Outreach Worker. The primary purpose of this position is to target a chronically unhoused population that are unwilling or unable to access a shelter or needed services, to advocate for and connect this population with needed support services. This includes providing support, and care to clients and liaising with other service agencies. You will frequently deal with clients in crisis situations, brought about by diverse problems.
- Plan and implement outreach efforts to find and minister to people who are unsheltered and experiencing homelessness in Kelowna and advocate on their behalf;
- Assist with scheduling, training interns and volunteers, under the direction of the Outreach Manager;
- Plan, prepare, and facilitate Outreach van routes and scheduling all as assigned by Outreach Manager;
- Work collaboratively with various stakeholders, such as government, BCAS, related organizations, community organizations and service providers to facilitate a united effort to address homelessness and the problems facing those in greatest need.
- Attend and participate in various KGM & external meetings at the direction of the Outreach Manager
- Maintain records of Outreach clients and inventory in KGM’s secure server/database.
- Helps foster an inclusive culture and positive environment by treating all clients, volunteers and team members with respect;
- Modeling KGM values of Compassion, Integrity, Respect, Grace-led, & Transformation;
- Maintain an excellent relationship with all clients, residents, volunteers, employees, and the general public by building bridges of friendship wherever possible while being observant of the Policy and Procedures of KGM;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Position Requirements
- Specialized training and certification in mental health, addiction, counselling or trauma is an asset
- Minimum of 3 months experience as a front-line worker with people experiencing mental health challenges, addictions and trauma
- Completion of High School Diploma as a minimum
- Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds regularly;
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving abstract;
- Ability to interact and collaborate with a diverse group of social service professionals and support service personnel;
- This position is dependent on a Criminal Records Check (Vulnerable Sector).
- Position is Wednesday through Saturday from 6:30am to 11:30am (20 hours)
This is a great opportunity to make a significant difference in the Kelowna community; we are looking forward to hearing from you!
The starting wage for this position is $21 per hour less applicable statutory deductions.
"*" indicates required fields